Start Date: March 01st, 2021
About Shimmer Sensing
Shimmer is a leading provider of wearable wireless sensor products and solutions. As a pioneer in the industry Shimmer is committed to pushing the boundaries, and driving the future development of wearable wireless sensing through our personnel and world class engineering team.
Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland and with locations in Boston, USA, Barcelona, Spain and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Shimmer offers wearable wireless sensing technology, solutions and consultancy services to the Research and Education, Enterprise, and End User markets. Shipping to over 70 countries worldwide our technology and solutions are utilized by the brightest start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, and world’s leading Universities. Shimmer is a privately held company, and manufactures all of its products in its Dublin facility which is accredited to the quality management standard ISO 9001 and the medical device standard ISO 13485.
Title: Firmware Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Development Manager
Works with: The Product Design Team, The Software Team
Location: Dublin, Ireland or Malaysia
A talented Firmware Engineer is required to design Shimmer’s range of electronics products for the research, clinical and medical industries. The Firmware Engineer will design the firmware for use in new products and support the existing range of products.
The Firmware Engineer must have the ability to work independently and have a keen interest in new technologies, especially in the medical sector.
• Responsible for the design and development of Firmware for Shimmer Sensing products.
• Responsible for ensuring that all assigned work packages are delivered to time, cost and specifications requirements.
• Work closely with the Software and Hardware team to ensure all firmware simulates production designs accurately.
• Work closely with the production team to ensure Shimmer products are manufactured efficiently and to a low cost.
• Responsible for the day-to-day design of firmware, giving guidance, review and assistance to the manufacturing and testing of finished designs.
• Provide labour and material cost estimates for work packages as requested by management.
• Provide project completion dates and ensure, as far as possible, those deadlines are met.
• Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
Qualifications, Education & Previous Experience Requirements
• Degree or better in a relevant discipline.
• Expert in the design and development of embedded firmware.
• Expert in C programming for embedded systems.
• Experienced in current wireless technologies such as BT, BLE, ANT, 802.15.4, 802.11.xxx, LoRAWAN, etc.
• Experienced in design and developing for low-voltage and low-power mobile devices.
• Knowledge of ARM and Texas Instruments MCUs.
• Knowledge of wireless biophysical and kinematic sensor systems.
• Knowledge of Python programming.
• Knowledge of Github and JIRA.
• Knowledge of IDEs, preferably Eclipse, Code Composer and Segger.
• Knowledge of embedded standards including GPIOs, I2C, SPI, QSPI, memory devices and USB.
• Knowledge of RTC, interrupts, ADCs, comparators, GPIOs and timers.
• A good understanding of circuit schematics.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office – e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, etc.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral and able to communicate to all levels and functions throughout the organisation.
• Permanent: Full-Time employment
• Salary range: Competitive
• Job Type: Full-time
• Job Location: Dublin, Malaysia