Hardware Design Engineer
Start Date: May 01st, 2018
About Shimmer Sensing
Shimmer is a leading provider of wearable wireless sensor products and solutions. As a pioneer in the industry Shimmer is committed to pushing the boundaries, and driving the future development of wearable wireless sensing through our personnel and world class engineering team.
Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland and with locations in Boston, USA, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Shimmer offers wearable wireless sensing technologies, solutions and consultancy services to the Research and Education, Enterprise, and End User markets. Shipping to over 70 countries worldwide our technology and solutions are utilized by the brightest start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, and world’s leading Universities. Shimmer is a privately held company, and manufactures all of its products in its Dublin facility which is accredited to the quality management standard ISO 9001, the medical device standard ISO 13485, and the aerospace standard AS9100.
Title: Hardware Design Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Development Manager
Works with: The Product Design Team, The Software team
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Type: Full time
A talented Hardware Design Engineer is required to design and manage Shimmer’s range of electronics products for the research and clinical / medical industries. The Hardware Design Engineer will manage the design of electronics for use in new product development and support the existing range of products. The Hardware Design Engineer will also be capable of managing a range of partners for research, development, manufacturing and test.
The Hardware Design Engineer must have the ability to work independently and have a keen interest in new technologies especially in the medical sensor sector.
• Responsible for the design and development of Shimmer Sensing electronic products.
• Responsible, in conjunction with the mechanical design team, for concepting and designing the electro-mechanical elements of all new products.
• Responsible for planning technology roadmaps to enable features/capability’s specified by product management.
• Conducting feasibility research with the use of demonstration boards. Understanding and planning size constrains for concept product’s PCBA’s.
• Understanding and planning power constraints and battery constraints in a minimal power draw environment which is continuously decreasing.
• Responsible for the day to day design of electrical and electronics product design, giving guidance, review and assistance to the manufacturing and testing of finished designs.
• Responsible for the identification and management of outsource electronics designers.
• Responsible for ensuring that all assigned work packages are delivered to time, cost and specifications requirements.
• Work closely with the Software and Firmware team to ensure all test hardware (for software designs) simulates production designs accurately.
• Work closely with the production team to ensure Shimmer products are manufactured efficiently and to a low cost.
• Provide labour and material cost estimates for work packages as requested by management.
• Provide project completion dates and ensure, as far as possible, those deadlines are met.
• Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
Qualifications, Education & Previous Experience Requirements
• Degree or better in a relevant discipline.
• Expert in the systems design of embedded electronic circuits.
• Expert in mixed signal electronics.
• Experience in current wireless technologies such as BT, BLE, ANT, 802.15.4, 802.11.xxx, LoRAWAN, etc.
• Experienced in wireless biophysical and kinematic sensor systems.
• Experienced in power supply design for low voltage and low power mobile devices.
• Knowledge of electrical and electronics schematic capture and PCB layout packages eg Altium, OrCAD, Cadence Allegro, PADS.
• Knowledge of DFM principles, and DFT principles.
• Knowledge of modern testing procedures for PCBAs, eg ICT, flying probe and functional test.
• Knowledge in software development for embedded system
• Understanding of microcontrollers, I2C, SPI, QSPI, memory devices and USB.
• A good understanding of BOM compilation.
• Commercial awareness – able to negotiate technical issues with suppliers.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office – e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, etc.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral and able to communication to all levels and functions throughout the organisation.
• Permanent, Full Time employment.
• Salary range – competitive.
• Job Type: Full-time.
• Job Location: Dublin
Please submit all applications to email@example.com